The 2020 real estate market is heating back up, and more homes are being listed nationwide. According to a recent study by home improvement website Fixr, open floor plans, smart homes and outdoor areas are among the hot features in highest demand for homebuyers this year. The Fixr study — entitled “Single-Family Home Construction and Remodeling Trends 2020” — revealed some other popular trends that real estate professionals should be sure to highlight in home listings. Those trends were as follows:
1. Open-floor plans and two-story homes were the top layout choices of respondents. Ninety percent of respondents said they prefer open-floor plans, while 77% preferred two-story homes. As families have been forced to spend more time at home because of the COVID-19 pandemic, large and open common areas have become higher priority to buyers.
2. Smart home features — including smart thermostats, security cameras and smart outlets — are important to homebuyers in 2020.
3. Homeowners looking to age in the home they are purchasing crave accessibility modifications or at least a space fit for modifications that would allow them to age more comfortably.
4. As many Americans are dealing with economic uncertainty, energy efficient homes that will lower power bills and energy usage are becoming more attractive than conventional properties.
5. Outdoor kitchens, recreation-oriented yards and outdoor gathering places are popular among young families seeking family activities conducive to social distancing.
6. Sixty-two percent of survey respondents chose contemporary and modern building styles. The next most popular building style was ranch, but only 22% of respondents picked it.
This year has been in many ways an uncharted year, full of unexpected surprises. But even as priorities have changed, many home buying and renovation trends have remained consistent.
To learn more about the study results, click here.