It's hard not to get into the holiday spirit when you bring out the ornaments and decorate your tree. Keep in mind however that both real and artificial trees can pose a hazard in your home if they are not properly cared for. Here are a few tips and reminders on how to keep your tree and your family safe.
- If you are using a natural tree, make a fresh cut across the tree's base before setting it in the stand and immediately place in water. Keep the tree's water container full at all times, checking the water level daily.
- Place the Christmas tree well away from the heat registers, space heaters, fireplaces, wood stoves, televisions, computer monitors and other heat sources.
- Check all Christmas tree lights, other electric decorations and electrical appliances for wear (frayed cords, for example). Use only UL approved electrical decorations and extension cords.
- Unplug tree lights and decorations when out of the room or sleeping.
- Place the Christmas tree clear of doors to keep the emergency escape route clear of trees, packages and furniture.
To read more great housing tips, check out my blog at 5280RealEstate.com
My best wishes to you this Holliday Season. Happy Decorating!